Saturday, May 27, 2017

TR Holsters IWB, OWB, and RTI Review

TR Holsters OWB and "L" Double Mag Carrier in Kryptek Raid
I have a veritable "shoebox full of holsters" from various companies that I have acquired over the years.  After much trial and error, I've narrowed down my go-to list of holster makers to include G-Code, Armordillo Concealment, CJP Custom Kydex, and Guncraft.  They all make great products, and the latest addition to that list is TR Holsters.

G-Code, Priority 1, Guncraft, Comp-Tac, Raven Concealment, JM Custom,
CJP Custom, Armordillo Concealment, & TR Holsters.

A few months ago I was looking for an RTI compatible, light bearing holster with level II retention for my RMR'd Glock 19 w/ X300U.  This would be used in carbine classes or 2-gun.  While the short answer is Safariland, I couldn't find one in stock so I tried searching on Ebay.  That's where I found TR Holsters.  Normally I would have dismissed them as just another Kydex bender, but I noticed a few features that caught my eye.  The blocking was well defined and I saw nice touches like eyelets for the belt clip mounting screw holes.  Their light bearing IWB did not have rivets or a retention screw going under the light or trigger guard.  It was placed in the front, between the muzzle and light bezel.  This meant it was about 1/2" narrower than the more common style.  They also used stronger metal overhooks instead of injection molded, and had holsters for a large variety of gun/light combos including the Roland Special.  I went to their website and placed an order for a Glock 17/x300U-A, RTI holster with a Blade Tech WRS level 2 retention system in medium grey.  Two weeks later I got a call from Janna at TR Holsters.  Before shipping out my order, she wanted to know if I just wanted to pick it up since they were in Rockwell, NC, about 45 minutes from my home.  Even better, they were 10 minutes from work.  I told her I'd be in pick it up the next day around lunch time.


TR Holsters is owned by Tony Moffre, his wife Janna, and their door greeting dogs, Sam and Otis.  Their operation is run out of a steel warehouse, with a small retail store in front.  Along with their kydex goods, they also stock products from Agency Arms, Streamlight, Surefire, BCM, BRCC, Aimpoint, Trijicon, HSGI, and Magpul.  When I remarked on this, Janna replied with, "We don't sell crap."  When the talk turned to holsters, Tony invited me to the back of the shop where he showed me an impressive array of molds, tooling, and his personal firearms.  He let me handle his Roland Special, as well as his MP5 and a few other NFA goodies.  It's very apparent that Tony is passionate about his business, and the fact that he was willing to let a stranger off the street see his operation demonstrates a high level of confidence and pride in his work.  I went home with my new holster and a few boxes of Black Rifle Coffee.

TR Holsters Workshop

No crap here.

Lots of kydex in stock.
After a few minutes fine tuning the retention screws, my Glock snapped perfectly into the holster.  This holster currently lives on my G-Code Operator Belt along with their excellent Softshell Scorpion mag carriers.  This is my preferred setup for carbine classes.  The RTI mounts are high enough that I don't need a drop hanger to clear my plate carrier, and the level 2 retention gives me the piece of mind to stay focused on running my rifle.




When I needed a Glock/x300U IWB holster, I paid TR another visit.  I purchased an in-stock IWB holster for a Glock 17/TLR, a TLR-1HL, Agency trigger, and a few more boxes of Black Rifle coffee.  The only modification I made was to add a strip of self-adhesive suede to the body side of the holster, and cut off the sweat guard.  I do this with all my IWB holsters for comfort and heat protection.  The following weekend, I used them at Sage Dynamic's 2-day Vehicle Defense class, including the 5-hour drive to Georgia.  Despite drawing from odd positions inside and around vehicles, crawling through doors and under bumpers, sliding in the mud, and getting drenched in the rain, the holster help up perfectly.  Not once did my gun come loose or shift out of position on my belt.  A full AAR of the class here.


The screws aren't rusty, that's just Georgia clay.



When I got my new CZ P-10C, I was disappointed that it doesn't fit the majority of my Glock holsters.  In some, it technically goes all the way in, but never "clicks", it just sort of wedges itself, relying on friction for retention.  The exception was with my light bearing holster.  Since it uses the light for retention, the P-10C fits pretty well in my TR Glock 17/TLR IWB holster.  Though it's doesn't fit perfectly, it's secure enough that I've been using this holster exclusively with my P-10C for the last 1,000 rounds, including a 350 round pistol class.  Again, the holster has been excellent.

Fit my CZ P-10C too.



I'd been wanting to shoot an IDPA match with my P-10C, but the rules require a 3 o'clock holster. and mag carriers on the opposite side.  Once again, TR got the call.  Since this holster won't be used for concealed carry, I wanted something with a little more visual interest than plain black, so Tony brought out his assortment of Kydex Colors.  I placed an order for an OWB holster and "L" double mag pouch, and signed the release letting them borrow my gun to mold them.  They went over every detail with me, from what color kydex I wanted, eyelet colors, sweat shield height, belt loop size, etc.  He also couldn't wait to show me his new Sig P320 X-Five and the holster he made for it.  I also picked up some more Black Rifle Coffee K-Cups.  Tony asked if he could shoot a magazine through my P-10C and use it for photos while he had it.  Considering his preference for performance firearms, I told him to shoot as many rounds as he wanted so he could give me a good comparison to some of his high end guns.  That weekend, I ordered two more IWB "L" mag carriers from their website.  A week later, I got a Facebook message that my holster and carriers were done.




The Kryptek Raid is striking.  The grey, a few shades darker than in the photo, subdues it enough to not be obnoxious.  I left the back sides black since they're hidden against the body anyways.  The holster was little tight at first, but after a few dozen practice draws it smoothed out, about equal to my RCS Phantom.  The holster is cut very low, giving me ample space to get a master grip on the gun, but the main body extends up to completely enclose the trigger guard.  Only a small portion of the mag release is covered, and the kydex there is flared, so there's zero danger of it dropping a mag when bumped.  (I tested it by laying down on my side on top of it.)  After a few turns on the retention screw, my magazines draw smoothly from the OWB mag carrier.  The 1.5" belt loops have enough width to fit even the thickest of belts, and can be moved up or down the eyelets to adjust ride height and cant if wanted.  I can't wait to try show them off at the next IDPA match.

With a +2 extension for 17 total rounds, the IWB carriers position the mags at the same height as my Guncraft Rapid with extended Glock 19 mags and the same 17 round capacity.  While the TR carrier is a little deeper and wider, it's not deep enough to notice when I bend over and the width isn't an issue since I separate them with a belt loop.  They are molded to take advantage of the mag release notch, so even if I loosen the retention screw, there is still a slight "bump" when they click into place.  I do run them a little tighter than the OWB "L" carrier.  The metal belt clip is about 1/3 as thick as the injection molded one and twice as strong.  While I'm not worried about breaking the plastic one or having them pull free from my belt, I do like how the thinner metal clips print slightly less, even if the difference is negligible.  The hole spacing on the clip is also industry standard, making replacement easier, though I doubt I'll ever need to worry about that.

TR Holsters "K" on left, my well used Guncraft Rapid on right.

I can't say enough about how impressed I am with TR Holsters craftsmanship, attention to detail, and customer service.  If you are looking for a well made, kydex holster, with a reasonable turn-around, you cannot go wrong with TR Holsters.

3 comments:

  1. Don't be impressed. Their quality has gone down the drain, and their owner has become nothing short of a cantankerous scam artist. I purchased a holster through them, and its design was inadequate, at best. The holster caused binding, and would not draw safely or reliably. Likewise, it did not provide a proper seat for the firearm itself. When returned, the owner accused me of destroying the product, and tried to issue all of a 50% refund. Thankfully, the item was purchased through eBay, and after disputing the owner's lies, TR Holsters was forced to honor a full refund (shipping included).

    Mind is not the solitary complaint about such low-quality production and horrid customer service, either. Their yelp and google reviews are rife with customer complaints over faulty products. So was their Facebook profile, until they pulled it down so nobody could see the swarm of negative reviews they had there, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steer clear. I ordered a holster, and received a poorly fit mess that scrapes material off of my light. If you contact customer service, expect to be insulted. If you want to wait 10 weeks to fight for a refund with a company built for denying refunds... ask yourself why. Plenty of better companies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, the company owner is little more than a petulant child. He legitimately attempted to threaten me with a claim of Defamation of Character because I left a negative review regarding poor fitment of his holster. Sufficed to say, I never retracted my legitimate review, and he never "Served" me with papers. lol

      Delete