Friday, May 26, 2017

Armordillo Concealment Lux V.2 Holster Review

I have a confession.  Though I've been aware of Armordillo Conealment for a while now,  I've been saying Armadillo not "Armor"dillo for the longest time.  I also never tried the original Lux.  It was only available in black, and black won't get you as many Instagram views as Kryptek.  In all seriousness, I always wanted to try a Lux.  I liked the idea of a semi-universal holster, but I already had a light-bearing IWB holster for my Glock 19.  I also didn't wait to wait four weeks for a holster that didn't seem to do anything better than what I had.  But when I bought my CZ P-10C, I finally had an excuse to purchase a Lux.  I ordered the Lux on the same day I loaned my P-10C to my local holster maker to bend me a "Gucci" IDPA rig.  I figured I'd have my P-10C back well before the Lux was ready.  To my surprise, the Lux shipped in less than a week, so I didn't have my CZ to try it with.  So I bought a second one.





I carry AIWB, and with a TLR-1 HL added, it is uncomfortable to bend over or sit for extended periods of time, especially when driving.  One way the Lux alleviates this is by mounting the belt clip low on the holster body.  By positioning the gun higher on the belt, it doesn't impede my ability to bend at the waist as much.  While I always knew it was there, I was able to keep it holstered during a 6-hour drive.  While raising the gun up should increase printing, the holster has a few features to help mitigate that.  There is a protruding ledge below the trigger guard, which uses the belt to rotate the butt of the grip inward.  It functions like the RCS Claw, but with a narrower profile.  On the body side, there is a bulge near the muzzle, which levers the grip closer to your stomach.  It also provides some deadspace between the kydex and the slide, creating some very much welcomed heat protection after holstering a hot gun.  Re-holstering without looking is no problem due to the wide weapon light channel, though I usually take a quick peek since I'm generally not in a hurry to re-holster.

Minimalist profile

Integrated "Wedge"
Concealment "Wedge"

Tuckable clip mounting holes
Getting the gun out is just as easy.  It sits high enough on the belt to get a full firing grip, and the retention is excellent.  Indexing on the light, there is a positive "click".  How tight you wear your belt will vary the amount of friction on the draw, but the initial "snap" is unchanged.  This is because unlike most holsters, the Lux isn't folded over at the sight channel, but at the bottom.  It also eliminates the need to use rivets or retention screws under the light, allowing a narrower profile.  The sight channel is open, but deep enough to accommodate suppressor height sights, and there is more than enough clearance for a red dot optic.  The holster is open at the end, allowing coverage for barrels up to 4.5" long.  The thread protector on my Glock 19's Blacklist barrel protrudes about 1/4" inch, but it isn't exposed enough to burn me.

Open sight channel accommodates tall sights.

Plenty of clearance for an optic.
The old version had a 2nd mounting hole for the belt clip, allowing for a straight draw or 15 degree cant.  The V2 has four holes, allowing forward or rearward cant, as well as adjustment to straight draw ride height. They've also added a second mounting point for a tuckable clip if you need to roll deep.  I ordered mine with the industry standard 1.5" belt clip.  It holds securely on both my leather 1.5" Ted Blocker, and 1.5" Ares Gear Aegis.  There is no danger of the holster coming out on the draw, and it prevents the holster from rotating more than a few degrees off center.
Unobstructed grip path

Thread protector peeking out about 1/4".

Conventional light bearing IWB (left) vs Lux (right)
I really can't think of any negatives with this holster.  Of course not every gun/light combo will fit, and it won't always fit as perfectly as one dedicated to a single model of handgun.  But when you take into account its multi-gun nature, the Lux V.2 offers an unmatched blend of comfort, concealability, and versatility.

It's still only available in black though.  Kryptek Raid would look so much better on Instagram.😉

No comments:

Post a Comment