Friday, May 12, 2017

CZ P-10C - First Shots and Holsters

I just put 200 rounds through my newly acquired CZ P-10C.  I shot 50 rounds of American Eagle 115gr FMJ,  30 rounds of Winchester Ranger Bonded 147 JHP, 20 rounds of Winchster Ranger RA9B 147 JHP, and 100 rounds of Speer Lawman 147gr TMJ, my preferred practice ammo.  I like Speer 147 because it's inexpensive, reliable, subsonic for when I use my suppressors, and shoots similarly to my defensive loads.


I didn't clean or lube the pistol prior to shooting.  I only swapped the small backstrap for the medium sized one.  The backstrap roll pin is pretty long, longer than the shank on my Starrett 1/16" punch.   Also, the diameter is 2mm (5/64"), in between 1/16 and 3/32".  I had to be careful not to pound the 1/16" punch into the center of the pin.  I ended up using a broken 5/64 drill bit (the flat side) and a ball peen hammer to tap it the rest of the way out.

First I tested each magazine with a single round to ensure it would lock back on empty.  Then I tried to induce a limp-wristing failure with the 115gr.  I figured a one-finger grip, relaxed wrist, and light practice load would give me the best chance at a failure.  I shot each magazine loaded with five rounds in this way.  I had zero failures.

Reloads are relatively easy.  The top of the magazine is narrow with a long taper, and there's no over-insertion shelf like on the Glock to get hung up.  The backstrap acts like a Glock grip plug, a ramp that guides the rear of the magazine into the well.  The mags eject very positively, springing from the gun even when held horizontal at slide lock.  The gun will "auto-forward" the slide if you slam the mag in hard enough at the right angle, but I couldn't do it consistently.  I prefer the Opposing Forces Reload method anyway.  It's not as easy as it could be sue to the stiffness of the slide release though.  The mag release is also still pretty stiff, but the location under thumb makes it easy to get a solid press.  The mag popped free every time I went for the button.  I did have a few failures to lock back on empty during the accuracy tests when my thumb would touch the slide release.  I think it's because I using a weaker grip to minimize sight movement, because outside of shooting groups, I didn't have any issues.

Next I moved the target back to 25, 50, and 75 feet and shot 5-shot groups unsupported with all four ammo types.  Shooting for maximum accuracy, and squeezing the trigger as slowly as I could, the trigger felt heavier than during dryfire.  I'm sure someone will make a heavier set of trigger springs to lighten the break weight a la Glock.  Point of aim for the 25 and 50 foot groups was the bulls eye.  I was having trouble seeing the red dot at 75', so I used a 6 o'clock hold.  Here they are below.

25' Groups

50' Groups

75' Groups
Finally, I burned my remaining ammo shooting 3-5 shot strings at 25 feet, and strong/weak hand only at 15 on a BC-27 target.  The guns shoots soft and very flat.  I can't really compare the recoil scientifically, but I'd say the gun recoils like a Glock 17 with a heavy guide rod.  The trigger is bugging me a bit though.  The trigger safety blade is flat, and doesn't recess flush with the rest of the trigger face.  If you've ever shot a stock G19 or G26 trigger for a while, you've probably experienced the raw spot that forms on your trigger finger pad.  The trigger safety has a date with some sand paper as do the grips.  The aggressive texture is unforgiving of a weak grip.  Every try to twist off a beer bottle cap that isn't a twist off?  That's how my hands felt after the limp-wrist test.  I definitely see stippling in the guns future.


25' Rapid
15' One-Handed

Speaking of changes, there's not much else I can think to change.  I plan to do a full detail strip and cleaning.  While I'm at it, I'm going to see if I can smooth out the trigger interface surfaces a bit as well as the mag and slide releases.  I also want to see if there's enough frame material to do "Agency" cuts in the frame.  Having access to a vertical mill is awesome.

While it's too soon to make any conclusion about reliability and durability, I'm pretty confident that CZ has made a winner.  While I won't be selling my Glocks and Glock paraphernalia, I doubt I'll be buying any more.

CZ made it a point that the P-10C was compatible with holsters for "popular" handguns, namely the Glock 19.  I've amassed quite a few Glock holsters and unfortunately, only a few would adequately secure the P-10C.

Yes:
TR Holsters IWB G17 w/ TLR
TR Holsters RTI w/ Lvl II Retention for G17 w/ RMR and X300U-A/B

Yes with issues:
Raven Concealment Eidolon G19- Friction fit only, doesn't "click" into place
JM Custom IWB G19 - Tight, had to back off the retention screw

No:
Priority-1 IWB G19
Raven Concealment Vanguard II Glock
Comp-Tac Flatline G19
Guncraft Cloak G19
Guncraft Cloak Mod2 G19
G-Code OSL for G17 w/ X300U-B

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for nice post...

    Engineered to fit your Sig P365 Laser, the Sig Lasers provides rapid, accurate target acquisition resulting in the ideal sighting solution for self-defense, conceal carry and home defense. The battery drain is minimized with the Automatic Shutoff, which assures the Sig Lasers is always ready for use when you are.

    Sig P365 Laser
    Sig P938 Green Laser
    Sig P365 Accessories
    Sig Sauer P320 Accessories
    Sig P365 Light
    Sig 365
    Sig Sauer Laser
    Sig Sauer P238 Laser
    Sig Sauer Laser Sight
    Sig Sauer P320 Laser Sight

    ReplyDelete