Friday, August 12, 2016

Sage Dynamics Defensive Handgun Fundamentals Class Preview

My Training Background:

Or lack thereof.  I have zero law enforcement or military training.  I took the required NC CCW Course which consisted of 8 hours of classroom instruction and a 40 round qualification shoot in which we had to put at least 20 of the rounds anywhere on an NRA B-27 target at 15 feet.  I have attend a 4-hour pistol fundamentals course at Sig Academy that coincided with some business travel.  We mainly covered draws and reloads from the belt on steel targets at ranges from 5 to 15 yards.  I have also attended my local range's CCW classes.  These are 3-hour classes that are mostly like IDPA practice sessions.  IDPA cardboard targets, blue barrels as "cover", draws and reloads from concealment, close compression shooting, etc at an indoor range.  Not a bad deal for $75 and 100 rounds of ammo.  I don't consider any of these to be training so much as guided practice.

When I first started shooting 15 years ago, I had made it my mission to attend a weekend class at Gunsite and train with the late Jeff Cooper.  However with money and time in short supply I never got that chance before he passed.  However, my research into Gunsite and its founder led me to other professionals like Clint Smith, Chris Costa, and Travis Haley.  I learned what I could from their DVDs.  I enjoyed Smith's highly quotable "Clint-isms" and his KISS methods were grounded in reality.  Regarding tactical reloads: "Why am I taking the gun apart, that has already saved my life, and why am I going to start c*ck-juggling magazines with a heart rate of 160, 70, 80, and auditory exclusion and my eyes are watering and I've got my Mickey Mouse underwear and my Ho Chi Minh flip-flops on, I'm not exactly sure that I wanna be taking stuff apart."  My introduction to Chris Costa and Travis Haley were through Magpul's (I admit I am a Magpul fanboy) Art of the Defensive Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun DVD's  The common denominator of these guys was that they never demonstrated a technique with explaining the reasons for it.  They demonstrated more common but possibly less effective techniques and encouraged students to use what worked best for them.  Haley's rule to choose a technique that works 95% of the time and raise it to 99.99% is one that I incorporated into my practice.

Enter Aaron Cowan:

A few years back I stumbled upon a small YouTube channel while looking for gun videos.  I almost didn't make it past the first 10 seconds of the video.  A montage of highly modified handguns and AR-15's being prepped to heavy metal, the ubiquitous opening of a tacticool bro-tuber.  A heavily muscled man with a shaved head and sunglasses, and tattoos festooning his arms.  "Just another wannabe James Yeager", I thought, "God I hate the internet sometimes".  As I was about to click on the "one weird trick" to flatten my belly, he spoke.  I few hours later I had watched every video on the channel and was on the website looking for training classes in my area or near any locations I would be visiting.  My travel schedule would not allow it, so in the meantime, I eagerly waited for each new video.  I read the Hagakure.  I even bought his eBook, a novel about an assassin turned covert operative. Finally, the stars aligned this year.  I had a break in my travel schedule and the Defensive Handgun class was a few hours away.  More importantly, I got the okay from my wife.  I eagerly signed up and sent my payment.  I received an email a few days later with confirmation and a course packet, containing the course syllabus, location, and required and recommended equipment.  I sent a response email with a few questions regarding my front sight choice with an RMR, and my holster choice.  I received a response a few days later from the Sage himself.

In a few days I will be embarking to Carthage, NC for Sage Dynamic's 2-day defensive handgun course.  It is the only stop of Sage Dynamics in North Carolina each year, about 3 hours from my home near Charlotte.

What I'm bringing:

,A hopefully, unbiased and open mind.  On the gun side, I will bring 2, Glock 19's and 6, 15-round mags.  My primary is a 4th gen Glock 19 with a Unity Tactical Atom Slide, Trijicon RMR, Apex Trigger, and DIY frame mods.  Undercut, accelerator cuts, and stipple job.  My backup is another 4th Gen G19, with Agency Trigger, threaded barrel, rasied sights, and DIY stipple job.  I may also bring my G26.  Primary holster and mag carriers are from Guncraft.  Backup holster and mag carriers are form a small local outfit called Priority 1.  They are very simillar to Guncraft for about half the price and a 2-3 day lead time.  2 Ares Gear Aegis Belts, Vertex khakis I got on clearance, spare factory parts, cleaning kits, and 1000 rounds of Winchester bulk 9mm round out my gear.  I plan to run the class with all my EDC gear, Spyderco Delica 4, Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA, in CCW configuration.  Holsters and mags in the appendix position under t-shirt.  It's gonna be hot and humid as North Carolina summers often are with the constant threat of pop-up showers and t-storms.  Knowing that the intensity of this course will surpass anything I've done before I'm also packing a set of gloves and volleyball kneepads.  Ever slam your knee down on a shell casing?  I don't want to go at half speed or limp through the day just to hold onto my "man card".
Class Equipment Layout

Training Expectations and Goals:

I will be using this as an opportunity to learn as much as I can and find out how good I really am.  I consider myself a pretty good shooter, but without the crucible of a real, life threatening encounter, I have no reference other than how I perform in training under stress.  I hope to have a few myths or preconceptions dispelled, and finally to test and review my equipment choices.  I will have an after action review and report my equipment findings shortly after.  Until then...

-Carry On

Sage Dynamics Defensive Handgun Fundamentals - Day 1

No comments:

Post a Comment