Monday, August 15, 2016

Sage Dynamics Defensive Handgun I - Day 2

Well, I didn't earn the red patch.  At the end of the course, Aaron gives out a red pvc "Sage" patch to any student who demonstrate application of the training received at a high level.  I did not expect a red patch, especially after starting day 2.
Close Retention Shooting

This is my target after close retention shooting.  Aaron's standard of accuracy is a group just large enough to "throw a cat through" on the most vital regions of the target presented.  Only 4 of my high compression shots were in the vital region of the thoracic cavity,  My pelvic shots were a little too close to center instead of at the right pocket, and none of my three attempted head shot hit the brain stem.  While I used to consider these hits "combat effective", none would guarantee instant incapacitation.  The pace of Aaron's training forces you to pay attention.  Aaron would often begin a section with a real world example, usually an officer involved shooting.  He would identify the problem the officer faced, and then the outcome or possible solution.  This is not Monday morning quarterbacking.  This gave us the why, not just the how.  He would then demonstrate the technique, after which we would perform it once at our own pace.  The second or third time we would perform it at the highest speed possible while still delivering accurate fire.  The last time he often asked us to run it as fast as possible so we could see the difference between taking a little time to get a clean sight picture and pushing your performance envelope.  As it was humid and in the mid 90's, we took breaks between skill sessions often.  This was how the class went for the day.  We shot from the traditional prone and reverse-supine positions at 25 yards, and used "explosive movement" where we'd sprint 25 yards to the target, engage, sprint back, and then re-engage from 25 yards.  On my attempt I nearly tripped on my way back to the group.  "Running is easy, it's the stopping that's a bitch." - Cowan
Explosive Movement - Move! Temple Index

Explosive Movement - Engage Close Range

Explosive Movement - Run Back - Temple Index

Explosive Movement - Engage from 25 yards

We shot a simulated moving target in which 5 targets were positioned close together at progressing angles.  This allowed us to get a string of sight pictures as we swung to the right.
"Moving" Threat

"Moving" Threat - Torso

"Moving" Threat - Headshots

I had the most fun with solo judgement shooting.  5 targets were setup in close proximity, one armed.  The student had his back turned.  At the "look" command, we would turn around and search for the threat, then move to engage while ensuring our shots didn't hit the no-shoots.  The threat was moved for each student.
Close Proximity - 1 Threat, 4 No-Shoots - Work Angles
The next variation was 10 targets, spaced out with a single threat, then two threats. Each time we would reposition the targets so no student could know what they would be facing.  Aaron would use an auditory clue to start the exercise.  Anything from "He's got a gun", "Oh my GOD!", to "F--K You A--Hole!"  He explained that a beep from a shot timer is great for measuring speed, but does not take into account the time it takes to think through the problem.
I.D. Threat and Engage

Looking for additional threats

Working angles

Engage 2nd Threat

2 Threats - I.D. and Engage in order of importance

At the end of the day we debriefed.  Aaron encouraged us to share our knowledge with the caveat that we put it in context, not just say "do this because Cowan said so".  A few red patches were handed out including one coveted black patch.

Class Debrief

The "circle of guns" and an obligatory Instagram photo with a foot in it.
"Guns.  Lot's of guns."

"Get your foot out of the photo!"

On my drive home I went over the weekend in my head and came to a humbling conclusion.  I did not take the class seriously.  I was treating it more like "tactical fantasy camp" instead of training.  I was happy to get off the square range and get to practice cool stuff live moving and shooting fast.  I should have made a more conscious effort to apply what I'd been taught, to slow down and focus on getting incapacitating hits instead of "running and gunning"  My biggest take-away from this class is how much I need to work on.  I can often shoot tighter groups at longer distances than others at the indoor range, but that does not translate into real world skills.  It's the "Lake Wobegon Effect" of which I am a resident  I have a greater understanding of my limitations and a much more serious motivation to practice and get further training.

On a final note, like the instructor, every one of the students was exemplary.  Type-A guys (no ladies for some reason) who were above the stereotypical bravado and self indulgent narcissism of what you see on the internet.  Everyone was eager to share knowledge, stories, experience, and even food or equipment.  They were all simply a good group of guys, and I hope to see them again in future classes.  Above all else, I'm earning that patch.

-Carry On

No comments:

Post a Comment