Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Tacdrop UTC Targets from Targetsonline.com

This is going to be a quick one.  Tacdrop UTC targets from targetsonline.com are awesome.  What they aren't is cheap.  The backs are $0.60 each and the fronts are $1.40.  You have to order in quantities of 50 and they are considered oversized when shipped.  For 50 fronts and backs plus shipping, I paid $155.  Yikes that's $3 a target!  But...it's worth it.  Below is a single set I used for three hours of shooting.  I used the back by itself to zero my new uppers red dot and BUIS, and zeroed my new RMR equiped handgun.  I then shot some drills until the target looked like this...


Then I attached the front and voila, brand new target.


I spend the next 200+ rounds shooting various drills with my handgun from contact distance out to 25 yards.  Since the target has three available sides, I was able to give my self different angles to shoot "into" as I visualized the critical regions of the head and upper thoracic cavity.


The cardboard used to make the back is tougher than the lighter colored fronts.  It's sturdy enough to staple on paper targets and can support the front for hundreds of rounds.  Both the front and backs have perforated zones marking the vitals, two rectangles on the chest and an inverted triangle in the head.  One way to make the targets last nearly forever is to punch out these sections and aim for the "empty" part of the target.  As long as your shots are in the vitals, you'll never actually damage the target.

Another trick I want to try is suspending the target from balloons hidden inside.  This makes the target react to gunfire, dropping only when every balloon is hit.

These targets don't make much sense if you're stuck at an indoor range, where the target is always squared to you.  But if you have a place to shoot where you can move around a little, I highly recommend picking up a set.


No comments:

Post a Comment