Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Dark Angel Medical - Direct Action Response Training (DART) - Preview

As I've grown more serious about self-defense, I've realized I was lacking training in a key area.   I've shelled out over $1,000 on a weekend firearms training class.  My CCW Glocks are far from stock and both wear Trijicon RMRs.  My defensive rifle is an SBR, built with top of the line parts, a PWS upper, and wears a Surefire light and suppressor.  I've spent all my training time learning how to put holes in scumbags, but I've never considered what I'd do if someone put a hole in me.  Even though a defensive shooting is rare, run of the mill accidents are not.  I'm most likely to experience life threatening injury in an auto accident, so all my vehicles have multiple tourniquets and trauma kits.  Yet the only formal training I have in first aid is from the Boy Scouts 20 years ago.  And none of that included severe trauma.

My trauma kits contain Quik Clot gauze, but I have no idea how or when to employ it.  Stuff it into a thigh?  What about abdominal wounds. I have SWAT-T tourniquets, but what about a laceration to the neck?  I have two small children.  How does this stuff apply to an infant or toddler?  My experiences in firearms classes have taught me that YouTube is not a training ground, and I expect it to be no different in this case.  I need training.  I'm not looking to be an EMT but I want to know enough to keep myself or someone alive until medical help arrives.  I started researching and eventually found a YouTube broadcast from Practically Tactical with Kerry Davis of Dark Angel Medical.  Dark Angel has been making high quality trauma kits suitable for soldiers, law enforcement, and EDC.  Hearing Kerry talk, I could sense his commitment to saving lives by provinding high quality gear and training.  Their dedication shows in their lifetime trauma kits.  Lifetime, in that if you ever need to use one, they will replace the components free of charge.

Knowing I've taken the responsibility to protect my loved ones, I've enrolled in Dark Angel Medicals D.A.R.T. class.  It's a 2-day course, three hours away near Atlanta.  Their course bridges the gap between basic first aid/CPR and EMTs.  From their website the course covers:

  • Physiological and Psychological reactions to environmental stress
  • The importance of having the proper Combat Mindset
  • Basic Anatomy and Physiology of life-sustaining systems
  • H, A, B, C’s—Hemorrhage, Airway, Breathing and Circulation
  • Breakdown and usage of Individual Med Kit components
  • Proper stowage and employment of the IMK
  • Hands-on application of the IMK
  • Basic and Advanced Airway management -treating and monitoring tension pneumothorax, sucking chest wound and flail chest
  • Airway adjunct device placement-Nasopharyngeal Airway
  • Basic First Aid and Advanced wound care
  • Application of Bandages and Hemostatic Agents
  • Application of tourniquets
  • Recognition and Treatment of various injuries (Gunshot, Laceration, Burn, Airway, Head, Orthopedic, Environmental)
  • Recognition and treatment of hypovolemic (hemorrhagic) shock
  • Moving and positioning victims with various injuries
  • Response to active shooter situation
  • Proper use of cover and cover vs. concealment
  • Casualty recovery in an Active Shooter situation
  • Mass casualty triage procedure
  • Emergency Medical Dialect/Lingo (911 protocol, cooperation with LE, Fire and EMS and First Responders)
Included in the $525 course fee is a Gen3 D.A.R.K. trauma kit, which I will receive at the class.  I'm intentionally avoiding reading up on any more trauma care or looking at videos on YouTube.  I want to go in without any preconceived notions or false confidence in the subject matter, and I certainly want to avoid bad information.  I've made that mistake before.  I want to absorb as much knowledge as possible without the burden of unlearning what I thought I already knew.  I'll be heading out this weekend with AARs of both days forthcoming.

-Carry On

No comments:

Post a Comment