Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Sig P320/B&T SBR

I'm not a huge fan of the P320 as a handgun.  My first was an early Compact model in 9mm.  It was reliable and one of the easiest guns for me to shoot accurately.  There wasn't anything that made it "bad", but it bugged the crap out of me.  The grip angle was too vertical and it pointed low, in the same way factory Glocks point high.  The slide was obese.  I hate how they re-purposed the tall bore axis and chunky slide from a hammer fired design (P250).  It's inefficient compared to the slides of every other gun that was designed around a striker.  Speaking of bore axis, while muzzle flip was only slightly more pronounced, having the sights so high up meant I'd be staring at the back of the grip tang when I presented from a draw.  Old habits are hard to break after years of Glocks, M&Ps, CZs, VP9's, and PPQs.  I sold it a few years ago without a second thought.
My first P320 circa 2014
So why after all these years did I get another one?  Brugger & Thomet.  B&T announced a P320 grip module with a folding stock at SHOT Show 2018.  The ideal of a tiny PDW seemed like a neat concept.  Also, with such a short stock, the more vertical grip angle becomes a blessing.  Looking at PDW's or guns like the MP7 or TMP, they often have near vertical grips so the shooter's wrist doesn't have to crane forward.  The tall slide puts the RMR more inline with the shooter's eye.

So I found a P320 TacOps to use as a host and immediately submitted the SBR paperwork.  While waiting for my stamp, I sent the slide off to JagerWerks for RMR cut, serrations, and Cerakote.  I also tried two different triggers, the GrayGuns Curved and Apex Advanced Flat Trigger with Apex's FS Trigger Bar.
JagerWerks never disappoints.
After playing around with them, I settled on the GrayGuns curved trigger.  It was lighter, smoother, and despite a mushier reset, I shot it better.  When my stamp finally arrived, it was only then that I could pickup the B&T USW-320 grip module I had purchased months earlier.  After a quick trip to a local laser engraver, I was ready to finally get some shoulder-fired action.

P320 trigger comparisons

The module is a neat little piece of kit.  The polymer feels dense and solid.  Getting the serialized FCU in and out of the grip takes some effort.  The grip is smaller than the medium module, and the slides are flatter.  The cross section is more Glock-like in profile.  The stock locks positively in the extended position, but I'm concerned that the polymer will wear against the spring loaded metal latch.  A small spring loaded plunger sticks out the right side to push against the stock when it's locked closed.  Pushing a small nub just above the Pic rail unlocks the stock and it swings out about 30 degrees.  It's easy to flip the stock open with either hand.  The stock locks closed with a very small molded hook.  Again, I feel like repeated latching will eventually snap the tip off.  It probably won't but I don't want to take chances.  The stock closes flat on both my TLR1-HL and X300U weapon lights, although it does contact the TLR.

So how does the little rifle shoot?  It's annoying.  If you've every felt your cheek get slapped by the stock on a G3 or AK with a wire stock, this is similar.  The angle and thin diameter of the stock rest directly under my cheekbone.  I have to press hard into it to get my eye behind the RMR, so every time the gun cycles, I feel the slide impact and reverberate through my skull.  With a suppressor,  the back pressure sends hot particles right into my face, which is less than a foot behind the ejection port.  However, shots out to 100 yards and one-handed shooting are a breeze. With the stock folded, all the extra weight makes recoil feel like a staple gun.  Working indoors is much simpler due to its short length and light weight.  Unlike my rifles, I can easily dial 911, work a doorway, or scoop up one of the kids and still have the ability to shoot accurately.  So while I won't be shooting PCC or carrying the gun anytime soon, it does fill a nice role in the bedside HD safe.






SBRs

No comments:

Post a Comment