Tuesday, November 7, 2017

TR Holsters - P-10C Light Bearing OWB and New Belt Loops

It was time to give my tan P-10C some love.  My black P-10C lives in a Kryptek Raid OWB kydex holster from TR Holsters.  This is my IDPA/USPSA rig.  My EDC is a soon to be RMR'd fde P-10C that spends its days AIWB.   I'm signed up for a Sage Dynamics Home Defense class in November revolving around working a carbine and pistol in a shoot house, I'll need an OWB holster since AIWB would be somewhat impractical.  I don't want to tear up my competition holster, and it doesn't have a provision for a light anyway.  The solution, an OWB holster for my P-10C/TLR1 and double mag carrier in Multicam from TR Holsters.



The kydex is 0.080" thick and the holster is constructed with the same excellent finish and attention to detail as I've seen previously.  The gun/light combo fit a little tighter than I'd like for a range or competition holster, but not so tight that I couldn't get a clean draw without the holster pulling my pants up to my armpits.  I figured it would loosen up a bit with use.  Since this holster doesn't have active retention, I like the extra security in case the grip hangs up on obstacles, my sling, or other gear.  The mag carrier does have a tension adjustment screw, which I adjusted tighter than my competition setup.

My schedule being what it is, I couldn't get to the range for a few weeks, but that didn't mean I couldn't do some testing.  I loaded everything onto my Ares Gear Aegis belt, and spent Labor Day catching up on yard work in the August sun.  I mowed my lawn and edged the fences and sidewalks.  I also replaced a sprinkler head, re-staked some landscape edging, hand pulled a few dozen weeds, trimmed the hedges, spread a few bags of mulch, and refreshed the kid's sandbox.  Other than a few odd looks from the neighbors, the day was uneventful.  Everything on my belt was covered in a mix of soil, sweat, and mulch.  Even after rolling over top of them a few times, my pistol and magazines didn't move.


"Yard Work" Carry







Later in the evening, I examined the kydex for wear.  As expected, there were a few scratches in the MultiCam, but I didn't see any evidence of cracks in the holster, carrier, or belt loops.  After cleaning everything off, I started experimenting with TR Holsters new belt loops.  These are similar their standard injection molded loops, but the body side is angled about 25 degrees.  They allow the wearer to adjust the entry and exit angles of the belt, effectively changing the curvature of the holster to better fit different body types.  These can by combined as the user sees fit for better comfort, or to slightly alter the angle that the holster sits against the body.



Standard Loops

Angled Loops for less curve

Angled loops for more curve
After trying several combinations, I found that using a straight loop in the rear and an angled loop up front works best for me.  I did the same with my other IDPA holster, also from TR.

My preferred combo
TR OWB holster with angled front loop

Obviously, suburban homeowner activities aren't a true test, but family, work, and two freaking hurricanes were conspiring to keep me off the range for a while.  I finally got some outdoor range time a few days ago.  In preparation for my upcoming class, I practiced weak shoulder carbine drills, and non-dominant eye shooting with the pistol.  I'll also ran through some austere positions (supine, urban prone) to further test the durability and function of the holster.


I didn't drive over them with a truck or anything unrealistic, but I did run them pretty hard.  The holsters held up perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment