Sunday, October 8, 2017

CZ P-10C - Jagerwerks RMR cut

After shooting over 4,000 rounds between my two P-10Cs, I'm  ready to start transitioning away from the Glock platform for EDC.  Since I purchased my P-10Cs, I had been waiting for someone to offer the exact slide milling services I wanted.  RMR with irons forward, extended front/top serrations, and black nitride.  A bunch of companies have cropped up offering RMR milling, but I've been hesitant.  I've seen some RMR cuts that are very far forward, to allow ample space for the mounting screws to clear the striker safety tunnel, but covering the extractor pin, and placing the rear sight dovetail very close to the ejection port.  Others skip the recoil bosses, and while they aren't really needed, I prefer to have them.  Also, while RMR cuts aren't a secret, very few shops have been forthcoming about how they do their cuts and why.  When someone goes into detail about their processes, it shows pride in their work and confidence that they are providing the best product they can.  One company that ticks all the boxes for me is JagerWerks.  I've had work done by them in the past and when they announced that they'd be taking CZ slides, I decided to wait.  For what seemed like an eternity (less than a month) I saw RMR'd P-10Cs pop up on social media from other reputable shops, but they were all missing at one or more of the features I wanted, and I didn't want to settle.


When P-10C services appeared on JagerWerk's webpage, I placed the order and shipped my slide without hesitation.  Their RMR cut is far enough back to expose the extractor pin.  It positions the RMR and rear sight (in front of the RMR) in about the same position as my Unity Atom slide.  The RMR cut is .185" deep, compared to the ~.120" deep cut on most Glocks.  While not low enough to use factory height sights, I can get a lower 1/3 co-witness without absurdly tall suppressor sights.  Another small detail is that they give the RMR cut a .2 degree downward angle to compensate for the RMRs higher height over bore than the factory sights.  Considering the RMR has 150 MOA of adjustment range, this step is largely unnecessary, but it's another example of attention to detail that may go overlooked at other shops.  While front top serrations by themselves are nothing new, they also offer chamfer serrations that blend the factory front serrations up into the top serrations.  I often find myself griping the front of the slide buy the smooth sloped portion, so the additional traction provided by the serrations and the sharp corners is welcome.  As an added benefit, the additional weight reduction compensates for the RMR.  The whole assembly weighs the same as my factory slide with HTAC sights, 12.0 oz.  Finally, they offer black nitride refinishing (outsourced).  While I have been impressed by the Cerakote jobs they've done for me in the past, I prefer black nitride for its durability, and I'm willing to wait up to three more weeks.
Much grip

Sharp.

Same weight before and after.

JagerWerks no longer requires sending the optic in with the slide for a custom fit.  While I was leery of universal cuts in the past, Trijicon's tolerances are extremely tight, within .001", well within the capabilities of a competent machinist.  I've had no issues with universal cuts, at least with RMRs, on my BattleWerx, Unity Atom, and Glock MOS slides.  Agency Arms uses universal cuts and I've yet to hear of a complaint.  I've also had no issues with my ADM and Midwest Industries RMR mounts.

For the sights, I chose to go with my favorite setup from Dawson Precision.  After doing some quick math, I settled on a P-09 .215" tall fiber optic front and a Glock MOS .225" tall black rear.  This gives me 0.075" of rear sight visible in the RMR window.  While this may seem too low for some, I give the optic priority, and it's still tall enough to get a good back-up sight picture.  I chose a fiber optic front for several reasons.  I often lose black front sights against dark backgrounds, and when shooting from very unorthodox positions, I don't always immediately acquire the RMR dot.  At my last vehicle class, when twisted around the driver seat and firing left handed, I liked having the green dot to fall back on if I lost my dot.  I chose green because I'm unlikely to confuse it with the red dot of the RMR.  Since both dots are on different focal planes, when I'm threat focused, the RMR dot is clear while the green dot disappears into the periphery.  I run my RMRs two down from the brightest setting, so the brighter red dot is almost always brighter and gets visual priority over the fiber dot.  I included these with my disassembled slide and shipped them off.  Two weeks later, I received a message from JagerWerks asking which color dot I wanted in my front sight, followed closely by a shipping notification.  Total time out of my hands including shipping: 25 days.
Accessible extractor pin


The slide arrived with the sights installed, with the rears perfectly centered in the dovetail.  I reinstalled the slides internals, noting how much more even the black nitride finish was compared to my stock slide.  My RMR literally "snapped" in.


It sits low, slightly higher than my CZC HTAC competition sights.

Low co-witness

I grabbed several boxes of ammo and headed to the range.  First I checked the irons at 25 yards with a wrist rest.  My POI was 1" high but centered.  While the sights were fine for shooting groups, their low height in the window was a hindrance at speed.  Then I got the RMR zeroed and shot some basic drills.  I didn't rack the slide with the RMR off any barricades or otherwise test the durability of the RMR cut as I hadn't yet applied any threadlocker.  I planned to re-install the RMR with Loctite and confirm return to zero first.  For this session, I shot 300 rounds to get familiar with the RMR'd P-10C.

With the exception of the sights, I'm in love with this package.  Manipulating the slide from the front is nearly effortless now, and the optic/rear sight placement works with all of my holsters.  The P-10 points more naturally for me than my Glocks, so I acquire the dot more consistently on the draw.  The lower optic height over bore also helps in this regard.  "Dot Torture" is still torturous, but the hold over required is less extreme inside of 7 yards.

As far my Glocks are concerned, even with the release of their new 5th Gen models, I doubt I'll be purchasing any more Glocks or related gear.  My G19 will continue duty as a suppressed nightstand gun since there are no threaded barrels or 31 round magazines available for the P-10C...yet.  And my G26 with still be my "quick errand"/"t-shirt" gun at least until the sub-compact P-10S is released.


***Update***

I replaced the front with a  .265" Dawson P09 and the rear with a .360" Ameriglo GL-408 sight.  POI is about 1.5" higher than POA, requiring a slight 6 o'clock hold at 25 yards.  Also, the rear sight is wider than the slide cut and overhangs slightly, but not enough to be a snag hazzard.  I have another set of these sights to use on my second P-10C.  It's currently at JagerWerks for the same slide package.


Slight rear sight overhang on both sides.

Low but effective

Bottom Co-Witness


1 comment: