Wednesday, September 13, 2017

CZ P-10C - HB Industries Theta Flat Trigger #2 - P-10C Trigger Reset Issues and Fix

A few days ago, I received an in-stock notification in my email and purchased a second black trigger from HBI.  When I received it in the mail, I tore into the package and grabbed my FDE P-10C.  Once installed, I noticed two things.

First, the trigger safety was much smoother.  The minor roughness I noticed with my first trigger when pressing the safety blade was gone.  With this new batch of triggers, HBI quietly made a small change, omitting bead blasting inside of the safety notch.  Everything else about the trigger, comfort, crispness, pre-travel reduction, was the same.  It was excellent...until I released the trigger.

The trigger would travel forward about 1mm, then stop.  It wouldn't reset until I took my finger almost off the trigger.  I took both my P-10Cs apart and noticed no dimensional changes in the HBI triggers. I even swapped the older trigger into the FDE and the same thing happened.  Upon closer inspection, I found some alarming gouges and wear on the locking block and trigger bar.  There's no way it was caused with three dry-fire pulls, so it must have happened previously with the stock trigger.  On reset, the trigger bar wasn't dropping far enough to clear the locking block.  Since the factory trigger is plastic, it had enough flex to let the trigger bar power past the block, but not before it left some nasty gouges behind.

I broke out the Dremel tool, and started grinding away the offending material on the locking block.  Before you gasp in horror about the prospect of taking the gun-butchers favorite tool to a firearm, this is apparently a known enough issue to CZ that some models have different locking blocks that are cut exactly where the offending interference occurs.  I started with a large sanding drum, progressing to sanding sponges.  I cleaned up the new radius with a polishing wheel.  Once reassembled, all was well.  Accompanying video below:


2 comments:

  1. I noticed on my P10c that the locking block has a 45 taken out of it already - clears by a mile. I am a little concerned with the striker. When I take the slide off and push laterally on the striker Im able to push it to the right which upon firing may allow it to latch on the back of the extractor... (make sense? )... how can that be fixed & do you think that a steel striker should replace the MIM striker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re describing the “clocking” issue that popped up a while ago. Basically, nobody has reported it happening with live ammo, only when they manipulate it to rotate over. Cajun Gun Works is working on a new striker housing to address this. I’m getting the tool steel striker when the housing is released. I had two buddies break the tips off their strikers while dry firing. Mine haven’t broken but it’s good to have a spare.

    ReplyDelete