Saturday, June 17, 2017

CZ P-10C - 2,000 rounds

I just got back from the range with the P-10C (black) bringing the total round count to just over 2,000.  While I did not plan to do any cleaning until this point, I ended up with a few failures at my last range trip, about 1,800 rounds in.  I was experimenting with Glock 19 (gen3) recoil springs.  I replaced the guide rod with a cut down G17 stainless unit.  Then I tried an 18# spring which worked okay.  I had a few instances of my 147gn rounds hanging up on the feed ramp with one of my mags with a CZ +2 extension.  The 18# spring just didn't have enough oomph to force it up the ramp and into the chamber.  The feed ramp is not as smooth as I've seen on other guns, and I'm leery of wet sanding and polishing a nitrided surface.  I feel like I'd have to take off too much material to mirror polish it, and I don't want to screw up the geometry.  Also, I have been dropping my mags into the sand at my outdoor range for much of my shooting.  While I was trying to avoid any maintenance for the first 2,000 rounds other than light lubing with Slip-2000 EWL, the amount of sand I could shake out of the mags was a concern.  The large witness holes and three mag catch cut outs probably let a good amount of sand in.  I figured the sand coupled with the lighter spring pressure after installing the +2 basepad, was letting the front of the follower tilt down.  Thankfully, the mags are easy to disassemble.  A healthy pinch of sand came out with the follower.  I went ahead and disassembled all my mags, brushed out the bodies, and wiped the springs down.  My normal maintenance interval is a light cleaning every few range sessions, or after a class, so these mags have seen an atypical amount of use without cleaning.  My carry mags are left stock, and have never seen dirt.



No comments:

Post a Comment